What Should I Do After a Slip and Fall Accident?
Slip and Fall Lawyer
Every day someone is injured in a slip and fall accident. They can happen in a second due to poorly lit stairs, icy sidewalks, wet floors, and many other reasons. These accidents can cause severe injuries that can require a long and painful recovery in some instances. After someone gets hurt in a slip and fall accident, it is common for them to wonder if they have a case to file a lawsuit. To determine if you have a case, it is important to work with a personal injury lawyer.
Some details of a slip and fall accident that could determine if there is a case include:
- How much evidence of the accident there is
- Who is at fault
- The extent of the injuries
- Hospital stays
- Previous and future surgeries
- Damage to your health, both temporarily and permanently
- Future medical needs
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident
The actions you take following a slip and fall accident could affect your case’s outcome. Therefore, it is important to remember that the steps you take directly following your slip and fall incident are critical in building a strong legal case.
These are the recommended steps to take about a slip and fall accident:
- Seek medical help. Your health should be your top priority after a slip and fall accident. If you have been injured, it is critical that you see a doctor to have your injuries looked at and documented properly. Your medical records will be viewed as evidence if you decide to file a lawsuit for your injuries.
- Report your slip and fall accident. Regardless of where your accident took place, you need to report it to the property owner, landlord, or manager. It is important to have the details of the incident in writing, so you should ask the owner, landlord, or manager to create a written, detailed report and for them to provide you with a copy.
- Document everything. After your accident, you should collect names, phone numbers, email addresses, and addresses for any witnesses. Their statements could potentially help build your case and prove your claim. You also should take pictures of the location in which you were injured. You should make a note of what you were doing prior to the incident and what clothing and shoes you were wearing.
- Do not give statements. You should minimize any communication with the property manager or owner after your accident. You should not post what happened on any social media accounts and do not speak to an insurance company until you have spoken with a lawyer. Do not point fingers at anyone, but do not take any responsibility either.
- Contact a lawyer. If you are thinking about taking legal action, you should contact an experienced slip and fall lawyer St. Paul. Slip and fall accidents are often complicated and can be hard to prove, so having an experienced lawyer on your side can be beneficial for you if you decide to file a lawsuit.
Thank you to our friends and contributors at Johnston | Martineau, PLLP for their insight into personal injury cases and slip and fall accidents.